If you work as a PA, at some point you’ll likely make travel arrangements for one or more executives. Making travel arrangements for your boss can sometimes be stressful. It is important to ask the right questions to get them where they want to go.
The details below are tips and questions to scheduling travel arrangements for your boss.
Questions you can ask and tips to remember
- Find out your boss’s preferences.
- Make certain the executive’s travel documents are up-to-date. Some international destinations also require visas for entry into the country.
- Check the itinerary carefully. Make sure that dates, times and reservations are correct. Are you consistent with your time zones? I’m sure that the traveller will not be very happy to find out that the meeting was at 2 pm and not 1 pm because it was assumed that the times were local.
- Make sure the ticket times and the itinerary times are matching.
- You and your boss should have a copy of the itinerary.
- Does he need cash for the trip in advance? Get a cash advance for the trip ahead of time if it is needed. Cash advances often need a few days to be approved.
- Is the business travel being charged to the company or a client?
- Is he travelling with a business contact and need to sit next to him?
- Does he has a preferred travel agent?
- what kind of travel: Air, Train, Car?
- Does he require restaurants reservations?
- Does he require meeting rooms?
- If he is going to a conference do you need to register him? Oftentimes you are able to book a room in the hotel the conference is being held at.
- Get the traveler’s destination, departure and return dates.
- If there is more than one airport in the city they are travelling to is there an airport they would prefer flying into?
- Does he prefer window or aisle?
- Front of the plane or back?
- Meal preferences or restrictions?
- Time of the day? Does he prefer to fly with plenty of time to spare ,or Does he prefer to arrive at the last minute (It may vary from trip to trip).
- Frequent Flier Status. Find out the status of his frequent flier number account and when if he is eligible for upgrades. Set yourself a reminder to call in the minute to grab the upgrade.
- Get a credit card number to hold the hotel and rental car reservations.
- What hotel he prefers?
- Does the hotel have a gym? and What hours it’s open?
- Do they have king beds? (For very tall bosses)
- Smoking/Non-Smoking room.
- Do they have a minibar?
- Is there Wi-Fi available? (or other broadband)
- Is there a restaurant in the hotel?
- If you boss is arriving late be sure and let the hotel know it will be a late arrival.
- Does he need transportation to and from the airport?
- What rental car company he prefers? (Check if the corporation has negotiated rates with hotels and car rental agencies).
- For driving directions you can use: Yahoo maps, Google maps, MapQuest.
Never assume something will be available. Always ask when you make the travel arrangements.
Feel free to share any information we may have forgotten. If you’re the boss, let us know what you like to have when you travel.