A while back, we asked readers to send in some examples of bad interview questions — and below the response we got! Here are some of our favourites.
While brainteaser questions are no longer trendy, some companies still rely on them. Read up on these challenging questions and be prepared in case you run into one. Interviewers ask these questions to test your thinking and check your problem-solving skills. They want to find out if you can think logically and think under pressure and they want to see how well you’ll go compared with the other applicants. It’s all about how creative and resourceful you can be.
There are four types of brainteasers:
- Questions that have correct answers
- Questions that don’t have one correct answer
- Questions that you have to break down
- Questions that test your performance
How to handle them
Here are some tips to help you answer brainteaser questions:
- The obvious answer is often the wrong answer
- You’ve been given everything you need to answer the question
- Ask questions if you need to clarify anything
- Speak your thoughts out loud so the interviewers can hear the process you use to get your answer
Brainteasers are a complete waste of time. They don’t predict anything. They serve primarily to make the interviewer feel smart. President of People Operations at Google.
34 Worst Interview Questions
- If you were a vegetable, what would you be?
- if you were an animal, what type/kind would you be…?
- If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
- What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
- If you could have dinner with any person who is no longer living, who would it be and why?
- Why do you need to work or Why do you need this job?
- What’s your weakness?
- Why do you want to work for ____” and “Why should we hire you over any other applicant?”
- “I see you decided to take some time off”. – “why do you want to work for this company?”
- In a fight between a lion and a tiger, who would win and why?
- What makes you happy about work on a Friday evening?
- If you were a Disney cartoon character, who or what would you be?
- What song best describes your work ethic?
- How lucky are you and why?
- How would you explain Facebook to your Grandma?
- How many balls would it take to fill this room? are designed to test your creativity, critical thinking, and how you handle pressure.
- How does the internet work?
- Are you planning to have children any time soon?
- Who is your hero and why?
How many golf balls does it take to fill a school bus?
Tell me about a time when you had to bend the rules to get something done?
Do you drink? What beer do you like?
What is your financial value?
- Can you bring us the secrets of your past employers?
Why did not your last employer promote you after all these years?
Do you rather fight a tiger or a shark?
How many children do you have?
Are you religious?
What’s the perfect job for you?
Looking through your language list and then suddenly switching to one of the foreign languages to continue with the interview.
Are you smart?
Do you smoke?
Which lessons did you like when you were at school?
- What would the person who likes you least in the world say about you?
JOIN OUR EXCLUSIVE PA NETWORK! Register to our PA Network Evening at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City Hotel & WIN 2 Nights Stay in BARCELONA! Click HERE